Sunday, March 21, 2010

REFLECTION: ETL 401 TOPIC 2 READINGS

Again, the list of readings has been comprehensive and enlightening. I can now understand why there is a need to document student outcomes and keep evidence of their learning through the use of library resources. I have also learnt about the variety of methods that can be used to obtain evidence of positive learning experiences by students.

In the school where I work, we have a very supportive principal and so far, we have fairly good levels of staffing and a budget which allows for new stock to be purchased quite reasonably. However, should there be a change in leadership or pressure from the board to justify why we need more staff or simply maintain where we are at, then we need to be prepared with evidence. Before these readings, I wasn't even aware that such an aspect of the library existed!

We also have an active Information Literacy program working with students from Kindergarten to Year 8. Support for older students occurs when they come in individually to use the library for research or recreation. However, my concern is that the lessons learnt in earlier years need to be revisited, to remind and reinforce the students of the steps they used in assignment preparation. It would be great to have lessons dedicated to all senior students when we could assist them in locating and using information accurately and efficiently. This would also help catch the students who enrolled in later school years and who didn't have access to the earlier Information Literacy program.

At the moment, budget and timetable constraints are the restriction for this.

The readings are so helpful in broadening my understanding of what a teacher librarian should be. I feel positive that I can contribute to student learning through what I am learning in this course. . . which is one of the reasons I enrolled.

No comments:

Post a Comment