Wednesday, April 7, 2010

ETL 401 : TOPIC 4: Information Literacy

Having completed the readings for this topic, and also had some time to consider what I have learnt, I think that becoming aware of the various information literacy models has provided me with the confidence to sometimes use a model that best suits the group before me, rather than just adopt a particular model and impose it on the school body. This also allows for individual differences in learning styles. It was interesting to see the similarities and differences between the various models. The more succinct models, such as Herring's PLUS model are great for focussing on the major steps to include when teaching information literacy, but the more detailed models are also good to help tease out the details for inclusion. Perhaps the best model would be one that uses all of these as guidelines and then an individual model is created that is pertinent for each school community. The challenge and also the exciting part, would be to collaborate with the principal and class teachers in its creation.

I also found it interesting in our Herring reading that there is a school of thought that IL skills learnt in schools may not be lifelong (Lloyd 2003 & 2004). Are these skills only pertinent in an educational context? Food for thought there!

I listened to James' podcast about this topic at the end and I found this really helped pull all the readings together and helped me consider where I stand with some of the viewpoints that I had read.

Again, all these readings were very educational, as well as challenging, in terms of what lies ahead for me as a teacher librarian.

As always for me, there were a few standout quotes and thoughts during the masses of readings in this topic:

  • Linda Langford's question about information literacy - 'Is it a concept or a process?' Now I think it's an amalgamation of both. I also now understand that the edges a bit blurred about the definition. Taylor (1979) suggests that IL is defined in terms of skills, whilst Kuhlthau (1993) states it is about behaviours and attitudes.
  • Again in the Langford reading, the Australian definition of literacy could be the best - 'to be able to function well in society, which entails the ability to read, use numbers and to find information and use it appropriately.'
  • David Warlick podcast- I agreed with the points raised about the definition of School Library 2.0. - User driven, student centred, experiential, collaborative knowledge builder and workspace. If you could see our library at lunchtimes - packed to capacity, noisy- but work noisy and resources being used, maybe we are doing some things right!

I also agreed with the points made in this podcast that we need to reshape ourselves and go where the users are and that teacher librarians are the strategy guide - we are the connection between the school community, teachers, parents students and administration.

It's a tall order but exciting and do-able! ) Think Positive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment