Friday, April 16, 2010

ETL401 Reflection on assignment 1

When I first read the requirements for the assignment, I was overwhelmed by what was needed. However, as I progressed through the readings, bit by bit , the pieces of the jigsaw began to appear, although I still did not know how to put all those readings together. After listening to Roy's advice on the podcasts, the approach that was necessary became more apparent.

There have been some 'aha' moments, both in what I have read and also in how I felt as I worked throught the assignment.

The literature has really opened my eyes to the potential a TL has to offer a school. I hadn't realised how many key players there are in the creation of an ILSC. (And wow, look at me now...I didn't even know what ILSC stood for, let alone meant!) For me, I learnt that the definition of ILSC has many meanings, with sublteties in comparisons and contrasts. This helped me when reflecting on the school that I am working in. I realised that we are doing ok in some respects, but there is room for improvement. The readings on collaboration and the role of the TL helped me examine what could be done and how to address some of the obstacles currently in our school. I also realised that the TL has to be the driver, but can't do it alone and that it takes more than just money or time, but an attitude change in some areas by CTs, TLs and principals. I had never realised what a huge influence the principal has in supporting the work of the library.

Readings which provided 'aha' moments were Henri (2005), Understanding the information literate school community and Langford's (1999), Change begins with you: creating an information supernova. These readings struck a chord with me, because I identified with many of the points made, I learnt from them and felt that I would be able to try to implement them. I particularly liked that Langford mentioned that an ILSC provides emotional support, I really believe that all aspects of an individual need to be considered for successful learning to occur. I also learnt that there is a difference between collaboration and cooperation and that collaboration is what I need to aim for when I work as a TL.
Finally, I also realised that information skills need to have relevance and so the context in which these are taught needs to be established so that this is is achievable.

This assignment was a strong positive experience in the way that it brought together all the required readings and the thoughts and ideas that I had read on the forum. It helped me pull all these thoughts together and in so doing, helped me formulate a personal viewpoint on the role of the TL in an ILSC. It is a big ask, but quite exciting when you think about how much you can help. I have also started accessing OZ TL net and am finding it very useful in a practical sense as well as knowing that there is support out there.

During the process of the assignnment, I learnt that the emotional side , the worries, the feelings of the learner are an important consideration, so that is something that I will carry away and help students with when they next come to me for help...now I have walked a mile in their shoes. I also came to realise what a lot of time needs to be set aside to allow for preparation and writing - this was my first essay in 30 years! I certainly experienced those feelings for a few weeks.

The assistance in terms of the assignment forum, Roy's podcast in breaking the task down and the Learning Skills help pages was invaluable in helping me know what to do. I already knew that referencing is my area that needs development, I still need to sharpen up on this, hopefully I was ok in my references list, although I have just re-read my hard copy and found a mistake, must have been a case of not seeing the wood for the trees and pre-submission nerves.

Altogether, a worthwhile exercise, which I can hopefully use in a real life situation soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment