Monday, December 12, 2011

Memorable quote

Original quote by Anthony Grafton - mentioned on Building Academic Library 2.0 You Tube video.

The real challenge now is how to chart the tectonic plates of information that are crashing into one another and then learn to navigate the new landscapes that are created.


This statement really resonates with me because the world of social media and what that implies for libraries has changed the landscape of what has been my understanding of libraries. It really does seem as huge as a tectonic plate to assimilate. Because it is so big, it has initially appeared daunting, but the more I read in this subject, the more understanding I acquire. I am now in the position of understanding that this change in communication has occurred and there is no going back. I am also in the position of not wanting things to stay the same and realise that the library I am in really must catch up or we well might perish - like the dinosaurs.

I still have a way to go to really get a workable grip on some tools like RSS, twitter and del.icio.us, but am really enjoying Facebook - both personally and professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment